Crossfit Open 13.3 Efficiency Tips
I didn’t know what Crossfit was last year during 12.4, I’ve never done Karen. Full disclosure is important, I have no idea what this workout will feel like. Well I have a pretty good idea 150 of anything will suck. All the more reason to stay efficient. I’ve watched about 10 of these videos so far this evening and I’m a little biased but these really do cover all the bases.
Here we have Rudy of Outlaw Way, Kstar, BMac, Diane Fu, Carl Paoli, Mike Bledsoe and Mike McGoldrick. That’s a LOT of knowledge to apply to a single workout, and there are ton of things they agree on. Let’s break it down into a list like last week – that went well.
- Before being efficient, have a strategy for the pace of the wall balls, similar to the burpees in 13.1, knowing yourself and your pace is crucial
- BE EFFICIENT! Though the load is light the volume will make you pay if you have some mobility issues – get a full set of squat mobility in
- A wider stance will let you catch the stretch reflex without squatting far below parallel, save your legs
- Keep a good front rack and a level head, the upright torso will save your shoulders and upper back.
- Rest your arms as much as possible, while you rest or dropping them between reps, find a cadence that works and stick with it
- 90 Double unders really aren’t that many – do them in as large of sets as possible, leave yourself some time for muscle ups
- Double unders are all about form, keep a good posture, organized feet, land on the balls of the feet and stay loose through the shoulders
- Muscle ups are won and lost at the hip, don’t try to pull yourself up, drive with the hips, that’s where the power will come from (trust me I taught Zach to do these today!)
- False grip is nice but don’t get caught on it – it’s not necessary and can even through people off from learning
- Drive up with the hips, pull the rings to your belly button and transfer as quickly as possible to the dip – Carl Paoli does a great job describing the importance of this, the drive with the hips can serve to get you all the way into the dip.
- BMac makes a great point about warming up – a proper warm up will serve you well.
- If all else fails – get McGoldrick to start yelling at you 10 wall balls in – it did wonders for Chris Moore
Good luck everyone! I’m shooting for 245. 5 Muscle ups! That’s aggressive but I like it that way. I’m thinking 7:00 Karen, 2:00 for DU’s, and a pretty realistic 3 minutes for 5 muscle ups, thats almost EMOM. At least I have a plan! What’s yours?