Pages Menu
TwitterRssFacebook
Categories Menu

Posted by on Apr 22, 2013 in Crossfit, Food Porn, Lifting and Crossfit, Master, Mobility, Olympic Lifts, Paleo Lifestyle, Strength Training, WOD

Grizzly Way 130422 (Bad Hair Day)

Grizzly Way 130422 (Bad Hair Day)

Okay so I don’t really do the whole good hair day, bad hair day thing, in general I keep mine cut short enough that just having it on my head makes it a good hair day. There does seem to be a pattern with waxing and waning mobility, some days the mechanics just click, you find the range, your movement patterns match, it all just clicks. Today was a good ankle day, weeks and months now I spend the bulk of my mobility time on my ankles, never really making much headway. Lately I’ve been fine tuning my methods, lots of lower leg soft tissue work combined with some banded ankle mobs and it seems to be working. Today I back squatted heavy for the first time in a couple weeks and was rewarded for my efforts.

130422

Warmup C
Weightlifting
Snatch, blocks 2 @ 60%, 2 @ 70%, 2 @ 80%, 2 @ 85%, 1 @ 90%, 2 @ 85% 110; 125; 145; 155; 160; 155
Stop Snatch Deadlift (knee, mid-thigh) 4 x 3 @ 80% of Snatch 1RM 145
6 x 2 Back Squat @ 85% of 1RM, EMOM 295; 300

Conditioning
4 Rounds:
4 HSPU
16 Thrusters (95#)
20 Box Jumps

14:32:00

Snatching today was mediocre. Something about snatching on Mondays never feel right, call it staleness from the weekend or lack of practice but the technique took some jiggering today. I missed my first double at 60% and I knew there was going to be some issues. I went back and hit some singles at 50% until it felt right, and then went back up, the did the trick at least for the day. While my overhead squat and stability catching is getting mildly better, I’m still making the same technique mistakes on the snatch – I might try or request some hang snatch drills from Mike, that helped my clean a lot. The workout really started to click for me while warming up for the squats, I started to warm up for the EMOM squats at 155 and was astonished how good they felt.

I’m gonna skip talking about the conditioning, I did it, I felt conditioned, it didn’t suck, it wasn’t great. David asked me if I was breathing at the bottom of my thruster…he asked me mid workout so I didn’t track down the whole answer to this but its an intriguing concept because typically I breathe on the overhead press portion. Apparently there are two ways to skin that cat.

I started a couple of diet conversations today while training, the first was with Tim and Eddie. Eddie was proud of himself for subscribing to my practice of entire mobility days. It’s pretty well known that I’m kind of the Paleo guy – but Tim coined a new term today that I’m a huge fan of, “competition Paleo” though I think I might change it to “performance paleo.” That is to say about 90% of the time I choose to eat Paleo, meaning no gluten, no seed oils, and no processed foods and sugars. The other 10% of the time, I’m eatting to perform – which involves whole milk and white rice which enable me to get the calories and carbohydrates I need to keep up with my training volume. You could do it without whole milk and with just sweet potatoes – but good luck eating 2 sweet potatoes every night and having that not get old. I wish you luck.

IMG_3628

Then coach Jake asked me about backloading, mostly he’d just asked if I’d heard of it, but then once he found out that I follow it he had a few more questions. The basics of backloading sound pretty stupid simple, loading the night before workout days to encourage a different metabolic pathway as well as encouraging carbohydrate uptake into muscle through resistance training and depleting muscle and liver glycogen with interval based training. There’s a lot more to it than that of course, Kiefer wrote a 300 page book about it, but those are the two cent points we talked about. I think he was interested – we’ll see if it sticks, it can be a lot to wrap your head around, especially if you’re writing your own programming as well.

Leave a Reply