Pages Menu
Categories Menu

Posted by on Jun 3, 2013 in Crossfit, Lifting and Crossfit, Master, Music and Rants, Olympic Lifts, Rant, Recovery, Strength Training, WOD

Grizzly Way 1305…something something (Weekend Update)

Grizzly Way 1305…something something (Weekend Update)

Wow I think this is probably the longest stretch of blog silence I’ve hit since I started this weird self-indulgent adventure back in October. I’m going to warn you all right now – this is not going to be a terribly informative, productive, or even positive post. It’s mostly just to decompress and try and reclaim some bit of my sanity by getting all of my thoughts out on “paper”. This weekend was a mess, since about 5:00 AM Friday until really about 45 minutes ago, my left felt like it was spiraling out of control. Of course it wasn’t really because I have absolutely nothing to complain about. But when you live in a sheltered world like mine, and when you based 99% of your existence on the ability to stick to a pretty rigid and pretty well practiced routine, then these small items can really build up.

Better start on Friday.


Snatch, blocks 2 @ 60%, 2 @ 70%, 3 x 2 @ 80%
115, 135, 150
2 Cleans + 1 Jerk 60%, 70%, 80% x 3 sets
155, 185, 205
Snatch Pull, blocks 4 x 3 @ 80% – video
Front Squat 1RM
Squat Snatch Press 4 x 4 heavy
Snatch grip strict press

5 Rounds:
Front Lever Tuck 15 sec – video
rest 20 sec
12 Pullups
rest 2 min


Friday I was meant to travel to MN for a family function. I was intending to leave STL around 8:00 AM and arrive then at a reasonable hour on Friday, around dinner time. That however required me to train early morning to be able to squeeze it all in. It’s hard to transition between afternoon and early morning training, I already go to bed pretty early (9:30-10:00 most nights) so to try and go to bed around 9:00 or earlier after eating a full dinner just doesn’t seem possible. To get my full 8-9 hours of sleep and wake up at 4:45, I’d have to be going to bed around 8:45 or earlier. It’s just kind of ludicrous if you haven’t been doing that for a week or two already. I got to the gym on about 6-7 hours of sleep, the caffeine carried me through most of the olympic work, but I was certainly dragging by the time I hit the front squat 1RM. In all reality I should be pleased to have even gotten as close I did to my previous max of 305 given the circumstances. I’m also not really accustomed to having to “hurry” through any of my training, I have the luxury of really training at my own pace, very weightlifter style. This obviously becomes an issue in the morning when the gym is only open from about 5:00 to 7:30, especially given that I have to leave at 8:00. Which cut my conditioning work short. Already not a great day.

Then my ride at 8:00 left without me, mostly because I wasn’t ready in time – because I tried to get all my training in. My own fault to be sure. Thus my 8:00 departure turned into a 4:00 departure, which then turned my 5:00 PM arrival, into a 1:45 AM arrival. Nothing like a 9 hours car ride to make staying up for almost 24 hours more fun right??


I’d previously arranged to drop into Crossfit SISU in the Twin Cities on Saturday morning, they would let me come and train from 9:00-11:00 Saturday morning. Again about 2 hours shorter than my normal gym stay, but far better than skipping training. Two consecutive
nights of 6 hours of sleep makes training better right? Nothing like some good common sense to tell me maybe to skip training and sleep…but health be damned, I have training to get done. Needless to say Saturday’s session was not the most productive.


3 Power Snatch + 3 Overhead Squats 60%, 65% x 2 sets, 70% x 2 sets
115, 125, 135
3 Power Cleans + 3 Power Jerks 60%, 65% x 2 sets, 70% x 2 sets
155, 170, 185

4 Rounds:
10 Box Jumps (20″)
5 Glute Ham Raise
10 Box Jumps
6 Single Leg Deck Squats/leg
10 Box Jumps
rest 2 min between rounds


First let me just say that Jason at Crossfit SISU was a SAINT. He replied to my early e-mails about as promptly as anyone replies to e-mail. He was extremely nice, true to the MN fashion, showed me where everything was, helped me not look like a lost child at their box. Then the really crazy part, right around 11:30 when I was getting back to my relatives house, I realized my phone wasn’t in the car, then I realized it wasn’t in my gym bag pocket I keep it in, then I realized it wasn’t in my gym bag at all, and then finally I realized it must be on the floor of the gym. The closed gym, whose owner had just been ridiculously nice to me. Frantically I e-mailed him to see if he might’ve picked it up, and if I might grab it from him between our two schedules sometime before leaving Sunday at 2:00. Long story short I did manage to get it back, but my exhausted, rattled brain was not ready to deal with this, or anything really.

Training was actually pretty great all things considered. I didn’t miss any lifts, and I was surprisingly mobile considering my 9 hour car ride the day before.


That more or less bring me to right now. I got home last night and passed out at midnight. I woke up this morning at 9, so at least I got to squeeze in some quality sleep. I weighed in at 217.6, which is really heavy considering I’ve been eating road food and not training particularly hard…Then I remembered I had an appointment to get my car serviced this morning at 10:30, so its now about noon and I haven’t stepped foot in the office since last Thursday. I really don’t handle adversity well… especially now that I’ve looked at my schedule for this coming week and realized that I have to mix afternoon and morning training all week – which is a practice that I absolutely despise. Go figure…changing routines drives me nuts…shocker right?

I’ll be happy when this week is over.

MFS | 8 – 1 – 1

Leave a Reply