Outlaw Way 121231 (The Last One)
Today I had grand plans to wake up super fucking early and get some rowing repeats, mobility and technique work in. I have been wanting to try this for awhile, splitting my day up in hopes of getting more return on my mobility hours. My plan was going perfectly, I was awake at 4:45, and realized sometime around 5:10 that my box had no afternoon classed today. So instead of a quick 1 hour row/mobility session I had about 90 minutes to do my whole day’s work. I don’t think I’ve ever done a full workout in 90 minutes, at least not in the last 3 years, so it was ambitious at best. Clearly not the day I was hoping for, but I tried to make the best of it.
1) Snatch: 5X1 @ 80%, 3X1 @ 90%, 2X1 @ 95%, 8X1 @ 70% – rest 60-90 sec. between each rep through sets of 90%, then 30 sec. between each rep at 70%, reps @ 70% should be alternating between Power and full Squat
2) Clean & Jerk: 5X1 @ 80%, 3X1 @ 90%, 2X1 @ 95%, 8X1 @ 70% – rest 60-90 sec. between each rep through sets of 90%, then 30 sec. between each rep at 70%, reps @ 70% should be alternating between Power and full Squat
3 rounds for time of:
12 Burpee Over-the-Box Jumps 30/26″
7 Deadlifts 315/225#
Lets start with percentages. It’s been so long since I’ve really properly tested this movements, that I doubt any of these percentages would help me. I need to work off something of a relative daily max at least until I get the chance to test again at mostly full strength. Or until my squat comes back to full strength such that I can work off my old ones again. Starting the snatch work felt fine, not great but all things considered I think it could’ve been worse.
The problem started at the 95%, for whatever reason I decided to widen my grip about an inch on each side, I felt like I was missing my hip and this could help bring the bar higher and tighter. I really didn’t even get the chance to feel if it worked cause the next rep the bar was too far behind my head and I lost it behind me. Apparently I was not upright enough at this point and dropped it right on the small of my back…which hurt..a lot. Megan who was training with me said something along the lines of “you’re just bent on hurting yourself aren’t you?” I’d be hard pressed to argue with her – I’m a mess lately. In any case, that put the nail in my BB gymnastics coffin for the day. I moved onto conditioning.
This was my first encounter with a 30″ box since run in earlier in the month. The jumps slow down the burpees to a painful degree. Having just gotten my first muscle up a week ago, I wasn’t able to get a few strung together, much less all 9. I did them banded and it was plenty difficult. The deadlifts I scaled way back because of my lower back. The heaviest I felt comfortable pulling was 225# well under the 315# RX, I might’ve gotten away with 275 but I was already running late so I ran out of time. Somehow I still made it to work on time.
I guess this is the post where I’m supposed to make grandiose goals for 2013 that are really impressive and worth 110% of my efforts. Lately I’ve been trying to keep my life simple, I tend to get lost in the clouds otherwise. Thus my goals for this year are equally simple.
- Learn how to accept losses without being defeated
- Get my Level 1 and mobility certs
- Take my GRE and apply to Grad School
- Compete as often as possible
- Squat 400#, Deadlift 500#, Press 200#, Clean 300#, Snatch 200#
- Make time for things that aren’t Crossfit, Eating, Sleeping and Work
There I did it. I hate that I did it, but I did.